Anny: This fried chicken is my mother in-law’s recipe. My husband loves it, raves about it and always craves it – it reminds him of home. So living 1,500 miles away, I had to learn how to make it. Once I began making this recipe, it was a huge hit and now, we eat it at least once a week! Fortunately, it is super easy to make and super delicious. Beats any trip to KFC. The sauce itself is addicting. We can pour it on anything and the meal transforms into a huge saucy mess. But first, do it properly by smothering hot, crispy, fried chicken wings in this sweet and spicy, out-of-this-world sauce!
Yeran’s take on this recipe:
This recipe gives you super crispy wing with a corn-flake reminiscent coating. It skips the usual hassle of coating the wings in eggs and then flour. Since we generously season the chicken prior to coating, there’s no need to add salt or pepper to the corn starch that it’s rolled in. You can toss the wings in the sauce when they’re done, drizzle the sauce over the plate of wings, or use it as a dipping sauce!
Serves: 4 people (5 wings per person)
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Ingredients for the Wings:
- 3.5lbs of chicken wings
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon of ground black pepper
- 3 inch piece of ginger, cubed
- 1 cup of corn starch
Ingredients for the dipping sauce:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon of Gochugaru (Korean red chili flakes). Can be substituted with any chilli flakes.
- 3 green onions, chopped
Goes great with…
- Korean Pickled Radishes (easy DIY!)
- Spicy Kimchi
Instructions for wings
- Place raw wings on a tray or clean cutting board.
- Sprinkle one side with half the salt and pepper.
- Take half of the cubed ginger and use a garlic press to sprinkle wings with ginger juice.
- Flip wings and repeat
- Put the cup of corn starch into a bowl.
- Using one hand, take each wing from your board and roll into corn starch. Squeeze the wing to make sure it sticks and place on a second clean tray.
- Heat oil to 350°F
- Fry wings for 6-8 minutes (flip half-way through). Makes sure wings float when the time is up.
- Place on a plate covered with a paper towel or a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Instructions for Sauce:
- In a skillet, fry the minced garlic in the tablespoon of oil
- In a sauté pan (to avoid water+oil popping) pour 1 cup of water and add the garlic.
- Add the rest of your ingredients into the second skillet and bring to a simmer, allowing it to turn viscous. This will take about 15 minutes. The bubbles will look bigger and the sauce will be much thicker.
- When the consistency is right, take off the heat and pour the sauce into a bowl. Or the fried chicken into the pan. Or the sauce right on top of the chicken!